We’ve all experienced the misery that comes with contracting an infectious disease. Now, in early 2020, we all have the privilege of participating in a global event that will eventually become a lasting part of human history — the 2020 COVID-19 pandemic.
A scary proposition considering the coronavirus is able to spread through the air, has no current vaccination or antivirus, and packs a mortality rate of ~4%.
Given the uniqueness of this situation and, even more so, our ability to observe it, I wanted to share a few thoughts on the evolutionary nature of our current pandemic. These thoughts include:
- Evolution is Alive and Well in the Virus Community
- A Quick Thought Experiment — What if Coronavirus had Appeared 5,000 Years Ago?
- Evolution and Changing Human Environments
- Evolutionary Survival Tools on Display
- Final Thought — The Big Human Lesson to Learn from Coronavirus